Warehousing is a place, where you store manufactured goods ready to be shipped to the other locations. However, there are secondary functions of the warehouse besides storing manufactured goods ready for delivery.
Secondary functions of warehouse space
- Shipment hub – When a warehouse is placed at a strategic location, it becomes a shipping hub that receives the shipments. From here they are then transported to the other storage facilities spread across the country.
- Assembly line – Manufacturers deliver products in several pieces to the warehouse. An area is allotted for assembling the products for customers or retailers.
- Rental storage space – During downtime, your big warehouse can be rented to other businesses.
Warehouses are available in a variety of shapes and sizes including –
- Public or Government-owned
- Distribution centers
If your business is in Canada then visit belley.net/services/warehouse-ready-to-go/, which has multiple branches around the country.
Advantages of warehousing
- You get to know the quantity of inventory on-hand and how much is transported. This means you can create an accurate inventory plan for the future.
- Enhancement in operating a warehouse empowers you to invest in advanced technology development thus reducing overhead cost.
- Your staffing needs can be planned as soon as you understand how much sales to expect over a specific time.
- Owing to storage facility, which suits your business needs, is important. For example, if you deal with perishable goods then proper refrigeration is a necessity. You make sure that your warehouse adheres to proper standards.
- When your warehouse is close to a manufacturing hub or customers, it ensures better transit of the goods. Thus, the time is taken for transport between A to B decreases.
- Understand the warehouse layout that offers the better the flow of goods from the manufacturer to the customers. The goods need to be stored optimally for fast access and delivery.
Warehouse not just stores the goods but even fulfills as a distribution center, an assembly-line and more. Some warehousing elements that can smooth the storage, transport, and safety of good are –
- A storage system ensures maximum goods storage and easy access
- Climate control to regulate the temperature
- Inventory management keeps track of incoming and outgoing inventory
- Sufficient staff keeps operations moving as per the plans
- Transportation & moving equipment
- Ample security to keep the warehouse safe
It means the planning, management, and organization of the operations inside a warehouse. This includes planning the shipments, managing the space and organizing the information. All this offers the customer on-time delivery of the goods and can drive the cost down, wherever possible.